Skip to main content

Make 2017 the Year of Men's Accessories!

 The new Ivy Style necktie work on Monday last with a Harris Tweed jacket and the usual light blue OCBD shirt.

Happy belated New Year everyone!  It has been a busy few weeks since the start of the spring semester back on January 9th, hence the absence of new posts since New Year's Eve.  But fear not!  Classic Style (for the Average Guy) still lives.

Besides my usual exhortation at this point each year for men to live a life less ordinary by dressing better and minding their day-to-day manners more closely than has become the sad, pathetic norm for society at large, let's throw interesting accessories into the mix for 2017.  Of course, while it is possible to go overboard with bling, one or two tasteful -- Yes, I realize I'm setting myself up perfectly for a take-down here! -- accessories can help bring an otherwise nondescript ensemble to life, providing added visual interest and even personality to a suit or combination of odd clothing items.  

Of course, if you work in one of the few remaining conservative professional environments that maintain business formal dress Monday through Friday (God bless you!), you need to exercise great care and restraint lest you get noticed for all the wrong reasons.  Subdued neckties and maybe understated cufflinks here, guys.  But it's probably best to leave the eyebrow rings and earlobe plugs at home and keep those full sleeve tats covered in the office, Maynard.  Let's call it a hunch.  If, on the other hand, your workplace is business/smart casual, it is a bit easier to have some fun by way of your accessories without raising too many eyebrows.  Included with this post are but two examples from this very week of my own forays into accessory territory.  

Somewhere, I have a couple of photographs from November 2016 of two Chipp dog breed neckties that I treated myself to after rounding the half-century mark (Oh, God no!) just after Halloween last year.  These, featuring black Poodles and West Highland White Terriers, dogs my family has had in the past.  Both have been fun to trot out a few times since then and always seem to get a positive reaction from my undergrads (as did today's pocket square below).  Guys tend to be amused while the young women typically make no secret of their approval.  Certainly not the reason that I make attempts to dress better than average, but it is nice when someone pays you a compliment.  If I can find these, I'll share 'em here in a later post.

In any case, occasional future posts here at Classic Style will highlight the various types of accessories that I include in my own wardrobe,and how you might also work them into yours.  Make 2017 the Year of Men's Accessories!

-- Heinz-Ulrich 


P.S.

Thank you for the nudge Old School!


A new Put This On silk pocket square (purchased at a considerable discount) worn for the first time today with another Harris Tweed jacket, a Fair Isle sweater, and university stripe OCBD shirt.  Brown corduroy jeans and 'duck shoes' from L.L. Bean completed the combo for today along with my dark green, very heavy duffle coat and a long University College-Dublin woolen scarf that I've had for about 20 years.  A Christmas gift from Mom and Step Dad in the late 90s.  No necktie though since there was snow to clear this morning before I could make my way to campus.


Comments

  1. Heinz-Ulrich,
    Thanks for being responsive to nudges from friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All opinions are welcome here. Even those that differ from mine. But let's keep it clean and civil, please.

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Popular Posts

The Problem of "Business Casual" Attire. . .

This is how it's done.  Business Casual the RIGHT way, ladies and gentlemen.  Even during the summer months.  A photograph (taken by Studio B Portraits ) which appeared in 425 Business Magazine in May 2017.   T his post on the problem of business casual dress began as a quick postscript to a previous blog entry last week but quickly grew and grew as additional thoughts occurred, were developed in more detail, and revisions made.  So much so, that it seemed, eventually, like a better idea to make the initial P.S. afterthought into its own entry .  Are ya ready, Freddy?  Then, here we go. . .  ------------ U nless you actually plan to sell beach snacks and trinkets on Cozumel, become a serial barista, or greet customers at a fancy nightclub after taking out huge student loans to attend university somewhere for four or five years, plus an MBA afterward, it's really a better idea to err on the side of (somewhat) more formal work attire any time you head into the

The Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style Now on Ebay!!!

Another great old Laurence Fellows illustration of menswear from the classic era, the 1930s. T he Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style is up and running on Ebay.  -- Heinz-Ulrich

"If you see something you want. . ."

  The above photograph has been "borrowed" from the J. Press website. "I f you see something you want," advised my late mother, "buy it.  It won't be there when you go back later."  A favorite (and wise) adage hers that I still follow whenever possible.   So when this item appeared on clearance at J. Press, I mulled it over for a couple of days, and then clicked the requisite boxes to make the online purchase.  Should be here within the week. Once upon a time, I had a similar jacket by Corbin that I foolishly purged before we left Central Illinois ('Illi-noir' anyone?)  for Michigan almost 10 years ago.  Not sure what I was thinking at the time since I did like the item and wore it routinely.   This one will be a bit nicer and help me make sartorial amends.  At least to myself. -- Heinz-Ulrich