Skip to main content

It's Thirsty Thursday. . .

The top half this morning as I killed a little time outside on campus between office hours and then teaching for almost the next four hours.  And now, I need a drink.  Making due with some coffee however.  The overcoat above is an old Botany 500 number that I picked up for less than US$10 a year ago, the blazer is a Polo University Club, and the hand-made green club tie was also thrifted at some point in the not too distant past.

Thirsty Thursday, otherwise known as drinking night and the unofficial start of the weekend around many (most?) college and university campuses in the United States.  A chilly one here in any case this morning, so I opted for wool flannel items and a vintage wool overcoat.   The blazer, pants, and overcoat were all purchased in my old thrift/charity shop down in Central Illinois during the last few years.  

There are, apparently, a number of thrift/charity and clothing consignment shops in our new neck of the woods here in southern Michigan, but our lives have been, you could say, rather harried since the return from Germany in mid-August.  I have not yet had time to explore them and see what might be on offer as a result.  No matter.  There is more than enough classic stuff hanging in the wardrobe and spare closet to wear through the rest of Fall, Winter, and on into Springtime, so I'm not too concerned.  After all, once you reach that critical wardrobe mass, how many additional tweed jackets, blazers, and neckties do you really need?  As the great Michael Caine might say, "Know what I mean?"

-- Heinz-Ulrich 


And the bottom half.  The pants are by L.L Bean and were thrifted about 18 months ago.  The shoes?  Sigh.  I had a pair of Allend Edmonds chocolate brown suede wingtips/brogues laid out last night and all ready to go this morning.  Too bad the weather forecast changed overnight, and we ended up having some rain and wet here midday.  Hence the plasticy Johnston and Murphy loafers, which I keep for just such damp days although the rain had not yet arrived when these photographs were taken.

Comments

  1. What a great find, coming across your blog! I've read through almost everything from the beginning, and it is refreshing to come across a like mind in all of this--not only in matters of apparel but also in matters of taste and decorum. I'm in the choir, of course, not among those who need the preaching, but it's enjoyable to find a kind of virtual validation of my sentiments. We need more like your blog, and I hope guys out there are reading and paying heed!

    One thing I'd add from my own perspective and experience to your reminders about decorum--slow down! Perhaps you've mentioned this in your posts already, but one thing I've noticed about those moments when my manners have slipped--and there have been too many of them, regrettably--is that my manners are at their worst when I am in too much of a hurry. Hurrying is the reason I forget to say hello or thank you, the reason I neglect to open the door for someone, the reason I say hurtful things.

    I try to keep in mind something my mother told me when I was very young, probably only in first grade. She said, "A gentleman is never in a hurry, with anything."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Gary! And thank you for your kind remarks. I'll agree that the hurry-hurry way of life in 2015 seems to be one o the big reasons behind why politeness and basic civility have been marginalized, for want of a better term, in a relatively short span of time. Things come and go in cycles though, so maybe we'll see the pendulum swing the other way (at least a tiny bit) before long. We can hope at any rate.

    Best Regards,

    Heinz-Ulrich von B.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All opinions are welcome here. Even those that differ from mine. But let's keep it clean and civil, please.

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Popular Posts

The Problem of "Business Casual" Attire. . .

This is how it's done.  Business Casual the RIGHT way, ladies and gentlemen.  Even during the summer months.  A photograph (taken by Studio B Portraits ) which appeared in 425 Business Magazine in May 2017.   T his post on the problem of business casual dress began as a quick postscript to a previous blog entry last week but quickly grew and grew as additional thoughts occurred, were developed in more detail, and revisions made.  So much so, that it seemed, eventually, like a better idea to make the initial P.S. afterthought into its own entry .  Are ya ready, Freddy?  Then, here we go. . .  ------------ U nless you actually plan to sell beach snacks and trinkets on Cozumel, become a serial barista, or greet customers at a fancy nightclub after taking out huge student loans to attend university somewhere for four or five years, plus an MBA afterward, it's really a better idea to err on the side of (somewhat) more formal work attire any time you head into the

The Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style Now on Ebay!!!

Another great old Laurence Fellows illustration of menswear from the classic era, the 1930s. T he Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style is up and running on Ebay.  -- Heinz-Ulrich

Friday Tweeds, Cords, and Coffee. . .

  I made the sojourn into campus this morning to have some coffee and talk shop with a colleague.  We had an enjoyable discussion for an hour in the recently opened library branch of the global abomination that is Starbuck's .  Can someone explain to me. . .  Why on earth do cities like Vienna and Rome even need them? I am of two minds here.  Starbuck's is handy in a lot of instances.  The coffee isn't bad.  Somewhat better than what is sold in the competing, campus owned and run Sparty's .  And the space in the library, occupied by a branch of Sparty's until early last May, is redesigned, bright, airy, and clean with plenty of new tables, chairs, and outlets for  laptop computers, tablets, and recharging phones.  All very convenient.   Yet it is locally owned, non-corporate cafes that have the character and quirkiness that makes them interesting places in which to kill time, work, and people watch.  Why the campus town adjacent to my employer does not have a bette