Skip to main content

A Damnable Popinjay. . .

 Today's ensemble, built around a wool flannel three-piece suit made by Ralph Lauren for Mark Shale.

Not the greatest of photographs, but today was the first wearing of that Ralph Lauren woolen flannel three-piece that I stumbled onto for less that US$5 back at the start of September.  When I wear the suit again next week, and the weather, hopefully, is better, I'll ask my wife to snap a brighter photograph outside and replace these with better ones.

Apropos the title, I wore an Italian silk necktie featuring parrots that dear ol' Mom and Step-dad brought me 18 or 19 years ago after they spent the summer in Trento one year, where the latter was doing some things for the U. N.  They also had quite a bit of time to visit several places in Northern Italy before coming home, and Mom picked up the tie for me during several days in Milan.  My first really good necktie by the way, and it still gets worn often.  I figured it offset the very traditional suit with a bit of playful irreverence.  Amazingly enough, while on campus today, I spotted our university provost from across The Quad in a similar charcoal three-piece!

Anyway, while I think the jacket sleeves could maybe be a hair shorter, and perhaps the inseam a bit longer, I'm extremely pleased with the general condition, look, and fit of the suit.  I'll wear it again before making up my mind on these two points and, if necessary, take it back to Mrs. V. for those adjustments at the end of the month.  A cool day today in any case, which was good because a woolen flannel three-piece suit is quite warm.  And extremely comfortable.  If more men were aware of that one feature of flannel suits alone, maybe a lot more of them would leave the house looking considerably better than they do.

But back to the suit.  Particular details include, among other things, pants lined to the knees, brace buttons on the inside of the waistband (I'm wearing blue and red paisley silk braces here), inward facing pleats, a fully canvased coat with natural shoulders, and an actual real boutonniere hole on the left lapel.  I'm not sure what the fabric weight is, but the suit is quite heavy even without yours truly in it and drapes very well.  I really like the lines/silhouette of the suit too.  The nap of the fabric is also in amazing condition everywhere (unusual for previously owned items), and I can only conclude that the suit was worn once or twice***, if at all, before finding its way the thrift/charity shop where I discovered it.  I've wanted a three-piece suit for a long time, and this one fits the bill wonderfully.  

As the song by The Doors goes, people are strange.  My father and maternal grandfather both owned and wore a number of Brooks Brothers and/or Southwick three-piece numbers during the cooler months when they worked in Manhattan during the 1950s-1980s, and I always liked the look even as a boy and teenager.  I suppose you could say things have come full circle here.  I'm finally dressing like Dad and Granddaddy after years of swearing to myself (and others) that I would never, ever -- under any circumstances -- do so.  An apple never falls far from the tree I guess.


A second, less stiff shot of same.  Doing my best Betty Grable.  In this suit, I feel almost like one of those old Laurence Fellows illustrations.  Almost.  It's the silhouette most of all I think.




***A useful thrifting tip.  Don't waist time and money buying things in thrift and charity shops that are within an inch of becoming threadbare. . .  or with tears, holes, pulls, stains, etc.  They'll look like you bought 'em from the back of the neighborhood ragman's cart.  Instead, purchase only items with minimal to no wear, ensuring that you can wear and enjoy said garments for years to come.  After getting any necessary minor alterations from your tailor or seamstress of course!

Comments

  1. I have only been to Milan once and similarly I bought a tie. Frankly after a detour into one of the v posh shops to buy something for Lindsay that was all I could afford! It is definitely 20 years old as it we were on our honeymoon in the Italian lakes. Still regularly worn.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All opinions are welcome here. Even those that differ from mine. But let's keep it clean and civil, please.

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Popular Posts

The Problem of "Business Casual" Attire. . .

This is how it's done.  Business Casual the RIGHT way, ladies and gentlemen.  Even during the summer months.  A photograph (taken by Studio B Portraits ) which appeared in 425 Business Magazine in May 2017.   T his post on the problem of business casual dress began as a quick postscript to a previous blog entry last week but quickly grew and grew as additional thoughts occurred, were developed in more detail, and revisions made.  So much so, that it seemed, eventually, like a better idea to make the initial P.S. afterthought into its own entry .  Are ya ready, Freddy?  Then, here we go. . .  ------------ U nless you actually plan to sell beach snacks and trinkets on Cozumel, become a serial barista, or greet customers at a fancy nightclub after taking out huge student loans to attend university somewhere for four or five years, plus an MBA afterward, it's really a better idea to err on the side of (somewhat) more formal work attire any time you head into the

The Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style Now on Ebay!!!

Another great old Laurence Fellows illustration of menswear from the classic era, the 1930s. T he Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style is up and running on Ebay.  -- Heinz-Ulrich

Friday Tweeds, Cords, and Coffee. . .

  I made the sojourn into campus this morning to have some coffee and talk shop with a colleague.  We had an enjoyable discussion for an hour in the recently opened library branch of the global abomination that is Starbuck's .  Can someone explain to me. . .  Why on earth do cities like Vienna and Rome even need them? I am of two minds here.  Starbuck's is handy in a lot of instances.  The coffee isn't bad.  Somewhat better than what is sold in the competing, campus owned and run Sparty's .  And the space in the library, occupied by a branch of Sparty's until early last May, is redesigned, bright, airy, and clean with plenty of new tables, chairs, and outlets for  laptop computers, tablets, and recharging phones.  All very convenient.   Yet it is locally owned, non-corporate cafes that have the character and quirkiness that makes them interesting places in which to kill time, work, and people watch.  Why the campus town adjacent to my employer does not have a bette