Skip to main content

Pleasure in Carrying and Using Nice Accessories. . .


 

Lately, these items accompany me each morning as I lock the front door and walk to the car for the 15-minute jaunt to campus.  A leather briefcase, which was a birthday gift from The Grand Duchess back in 2016 when I reached a certain milestone, a new umbrella (a birthday-Christmas gift this year from my sister), and the hat, a 2017 birthday gift from my late mother.

The Blueberries for Sal carryall peaking out from beneath everything else, was a gift several years back from my sister.  Blueberries for Sal is an old picture book with some text for small children that dates to the 1940s I think.  It has been a running joke in my family since I neglected to return the copy I borrowed from my 1st Grade teacher Mrs. P. before the school year ended way back in 1974.

In the years since, said book has resurfaced a number of times as we, and later I, have moved around the country due to parental transfers, family moves, later college- and graduate school-related moves for yours truly, marriage, buying that first house, and other milestones of adult life.  Through it all, Blueberries for Sal has been with us and now me, appearing every few years from the bottom of some moving box or other.  

The book now occupies a pride of place over on one of my bookshelves here in my home office, Zum Stollenkeller, in our Michigan house where, hopefully, we will remain until they carry me out feet first.  It stands on the shelf next to a more recent paperback copy that my sister sent 20 years or so.  

The Blueberries for Sal carryall has been extremely handy for carrying extra materials needed during my face-to-face classes before Covid hit.  I now use it when on campus to carry my ever-present jug of Chlorox wipes and hand sanitizer.  

Although my current mode of course delivery remains asynchronous online, and will so for the foreseeable future, I still wipe down every surface before getting out my laptop or other materials and settling down for work on campus.  The custodial staff in the library, for instance, do a bang-up job of cleaning and wiping down (also with Chlorox wipes) all of the tables at least once daily, but you can never be too careful in my view. 

Especially given the highly contagious Delta variant and the fact that we can, apparently, still get sick even after the requisite two vaccinations.  I know of at least two colleagues who have tested positive in the last few weeks for example.  And that after their own vaccinations last spring.  

So, just as soon as I can, I plan to get the booster shot.  Call me foolish, a sheep, running scared, and a filthy liberal so and so, etc.  But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as the saying goes.  I, for one, do not feel like my imagined freedoms are being walked upon simply by taking a few common sense safety measures.  

I mean really.   

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Comments

Post a Comment

All opinions are welcome here. Even those that differ from mine. But let's keep it clean and civil, please.

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Popular Posts

J. Press Goodness. . .

    F resh out of the UPS box, three examples of J. Press goodness on a Friday morning.  These shirts are replacements for three recently worn-through, more than 20-year old OCBDs from Land's End (two) and L.L. Bean (one).  They were purchased shortly after I took my first teaching position at a now defunct local college outside of Minneapolis, immediately following graduate school, as the fall semester kicked off in September 2003. While some professional gear hung in my closet already, a few additional items were needed at that point to round out the weekly rotation. Said shirts all finally fell prey to small rips showing up in the now very thin, but incredibly comfortable, fabric within six weeks of each other this winter and early spring.  So, time for a few replacements.  The old friends will find new life as summertime lawncare shirts.  Of the three new items above, my favorite shirt is on the right, but one cannot go wrong with a light blue OCBD either, so we're in good

Time for the Ol' Switcheroo?

  W ell, here we are approaching mid-April.  And it might just be about time to swap the cool and cold weather attire for warmer weather gear this coming weekend.  Mid-70s Fahrenheit yesterday, and low 70s today.  Cooler after that later in the week, but I can probably stow the heavier wool items and cords in the cedar closet and safely bring out the warm weather suits, odd jackets, and pants until the fall. Still time of one last hurrah today however.  Cooler enough this morning for a tan pair of cords paired with that recently arrived J. Press jacket.  The latter is light enough, although it is wool, that I might just keep it handy since we can certainly have chilly days in May and June. While classes end on the April 19th this year, I'll still be on campus occasionally into June, so it's not exactly time for khaki shorts, Madras, seersucker and short-sleeved polo shirts just yet.  There's also  conference coming up in New Orleans at the start of June, so still some oppor

Job Talk #3. . .

  C andidate #3 is, for my money, the person for the job.  Considerable experience, broad perspective, well-connected throughout the college and university due to an array of collaborative pursuits of one kind or another, coherent and detailed vision laid out for the next three years and beyond.  Yes.  I am not on the committee that makes the recommendation to the dean, who will make the final decision and send the letter, but, were it up to yours truly, this is the guy.  And he wore an actual suit (mid-gray), dress shoes, white shirt, and necktie as an added plus.  20 years or so my junior, but someone gets it. -- Heinz-Ulrich