Skip to main content

A Chilly Tweedy Wednesday. . .

 


Rewarding myself with a fresh coffee and a few minutes of blogging diversion after getting through a virtual stack of student learning team projects, submitted Friday last week while I was away.  Projects, Works Cited Pages, and reflections on/self-assessments of each team's collaborative approach to project development and completion.  So, a lot to read over and look through, but by and large, very nice, even interesting work from the young men and women currently under my tutelage.

Attire-wise, one more variation of the usual uniform.  I had planned to don a wool flannel double-breasted suit today, but the threat of sloppy rain and snow meant that I changed my mind at the last minute.  I prefer to wear my suits in better weather to avoid soiled lower legs and cuffs due to slush, ice melt, splashes from puddles, and the like.  Avoid dry-cleaning if and when one can and all that.

----------

 

Another conference goer asked me last weekend where/how I learned to dress.  Well, by watching my late father, maternal grandfather, and various other men in the extended family, most of whom circulated around and through either the corporate world in Philadelphia and Manhattan, or the governmental and intelligence spheres around Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, Virginia.   My step-dad and maternal uncle, now emeritus professors, fit into this general picture of  too.

Now, none of those men were/are quite as colorful in their approach as yours truly, but they nevertheless provided the basic framework for how men should dress in both professional and personal settings.  Whether that was a gray, charcoal, or navy suit (single-breasted and occasionally three-piece or a muted glen plaid), quality leather dress shoes, and a necktie for Monday through Friday, or church on Sunday mornings.  

Sports jackets over a turtleneck, creased odd wool pants, and loafers of some kind for a Friday or Saturday evening out with the my mother, grandmother, various aunts, female cousins, et al were also pretty typical unless along the Carolina coast or on the Chesapeake during summers.  Then, it was chino or Bermuda shorts, short-sleeved polo or madras shirts, and canvas or leather deck shoes of some kind. 

These men also looked presentable during quiet Saturday mornings around the house unless working in the garage or yard, and then it was boots and work pants paired with an older short-sleeved sport shirt of sweatshirt.  The point is that they did not look like they had been living and sleeping rough for the previous three months.  Even when they were not dressed for public consumption outside the house.  My father lived in penny loafers, while my maternal grandfather opted instead for a rather natty pair of blue suede dock-siders.  I rarely saw them barefooted unless it was early in the morning, or walking in the surf along the beach.

I am a bit less orthodox in my approach to daily professional wear and enjoy having some fun with color, textures, and so forth.  But then I'm a vapid popinjay, and completely out of step with much of the rest of the world it seems, so why should we expect anything else? 

----------


Returning to the present, a not unpleasant combination of items and accessories for today.  My personal favorites are the gray Fair Isle socks next to the dark red corduroys along with the mini-houndstooth wool necktie.  The jacket is a Harris Tweed that I found for a mere pittance in my favorite thrift/charity shop when we still lived in the wilds of Central Illinois.  

That particular shop reliably had lots of quality menswear hanging from its racks.  As I have mentioned in previous posts, since it was right across the street from the large regional hospital in the area, my thinking is that items belonging to deceased doctors and perhaps lawyers in Bloomington-Normal found their way to the establishment once the original owners had departed this mortal coil.

-- Heinz-Ulrich



Comments

Popular Posts

J. Press Goodness. . .

    F resh out of the UPS box, three examples of J. Press goodness on a Friday morning.  These shirts are replacements for three recently worn-through, more than 20-year old OCBDs from Land's End (two) and L.L. Bean (one).  They were purchased shortly after I took my first teaching position at a now defunct local college outside of Minneapolis, immediately following graduate school, as the fall semester kicked off in September 2003. While some professional gear hung in my closet already, a few additional items were needed at that point to round out the weekly rotation. Said shirts all finally fell prey to small rips showing up in the now very thin, but incredibly comfortable, fabric within six weeks of each other this winter and early spring.  So, time for a few replacements.  The old friends will find new life as summertime lawncare shirts.  Of the three new items above, my favorite shirt is on the right, but one cannot go wrong with a light blue OCBD either, so we're in good

Time for the Ol' Switcheroo?

  W ell, here we are approaching mid-April.  And it might just be about time to swap the cool and cold weather attire for warmer weather gear this coming weekend.  Mid-70s Fahrenheit yesterday, and low 70s today.  Cooler after that later in the week, but I can probably stow the heavier wool items and cords in the cedar closet and safely bring out the warm weather suits, odd jackets, and pants until the fall. Still time of one last hurrah today however.  Cooler enough this morning for a tan pair of cords paired with that recently arrived J. Press jacket.  The latter is light enough, although it is wool, that I might just keep it handy since we can certainly have chilly days in May and June. While classes end on the April 19th this year, I'll still be on campus occasionally into June, so it's not exactly time for khaki shorts, Madras, seersucker and short-sleeved polo shirts just yet.  There's also  conference coming up in New Orleans at the start of June, so still some oppor

Job Talk #3. . .

  C andidate #3 is, for my money, the person for the job.  Considerable experience, broad perspective, well-connected throughout the college and university due to an array of collaborative pursuits of one kind or another, coherent and detailed vision laid out for the next three years and beyond.  Yes.  I am not on the committee that makes the recommendation to the dean, who will make the final decision and send the letter, but, were it up to yours truly, this is the guy.  And he wore an actual suit (mid-gray), dress shoes, white shirt, and necktie as an added plus.  20 years or so my junior, but someone gets it. -- Heinz-Ulrich