Skip to main content

Friday Tweeds, Cords, and Coffee. . .

 


I made the sojourn into campus this morning to have some coffee and talk shop with a colleague.  We had an enjoyable discussion for an hour in the recently opened library branch of the global abomination that is Starbuck's.  Can someone explain to me. . .  Why on earth do cities like Vienna and Rome even need them?

I am of two minds here.  Starbuck's is handy in a lot of instances.  The coffee isn't bad.  Somewhat better than what is sold in the competing, campus owned and run Sparty's.  And the space in the library, occupied by a branch of Sparty's until early last May, is redesigned, bright, airy, and clean with plenty of new tables, chairs, and outlets for  laptop computers, tablets, and recharging phones.  All very convenient.  

Yet it is locally owned, non-corporate cafes that have the character and quirkiness that makes them interesting places in which to kill time, work, and people watch.  Why the campus town adjacent to my employer does not have a better selection of cafe spots given the size of our institution remains a mystery.  I know.  I know.  First world problem.  

The attire for today features many of the usual suspects but includes, for your viewing pleasure, a few drips of coffee that I noticed only while perusing the lower photograph.  Grrrr.   The strange irony is that I just dropped off a different pair of cords with the same problem at the cleaner's on the way home.  

All of which goes to show that those darn plastic lids, which are supposed to stop or at least minimize drips, don't really work very well.  Sigh.

Still, it's Friday! A bottle of wine with the Grand Duchess by the hearth this evening and possibly a game of Scrabble.

-- Heinz-Ulrich




Comments

  1. Starbuck’s is truly an unAmerican company. They threatened to not accept legal tender cash, they fired an employee who defended another from attack, etc. I agree with you that European cities with their wonderful establishments hardly need Starbuck’s.

    On the other hand, at least here, there is something about going there that gives one a lift. I cannot explain it. I get my wife a hot chocolate twice weekly and sit and read the news on my phone while they make it. And I like the days when I have to wait, and just sit there. In addition, they are open on holiday mornings, even Christmas, so I can get her drink — and tip very well — so that is nice.

    They also have a system that really cuts the wait time in comparison to local shops. I prefer, if I am going to sip and read alone, a local place called Wayfinder’s, but they are terribly slow, and always overcrowded. Two-person and larger parties do the very rude practice of getting out of line to go and save seats while those singles ahead of them in line then have no place to sit when their order is ready. My local (well, a better word is ‘closest’) Starbuck’s does not seem to have that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corduroy? The washing machine is your friend, surely?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All opinions are welcome here. Even those that differ from mine. But let's keep it clean and civil, please.

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Popular Posts

The Problem of "Business Casual" Attire. . .

This is how it's done.  Business Casual the RIGHT way, ladies and gentlemen.  Even during the summer months.  A photograph (taken by Studio B Portraits ) which appeared in 425 Business Magazine in May 2017.   T his post on the problem of business casual dress began as a quick postscript to a previous blog entry last week but quickly grew and grew as additional thoughts occurred, were developed in more detail, and revisions made.  So much so, that it seemed, eventually, like a better idea to make the initial P.S. afterthought into its own entry .  Are ya ready, Freddy?  Then, here we go. . .  ------------ U nless you actually plan to sell beach snacks and trinkets on Cozumel, become a serial barista, or greet customers at a fancy nightclub after taking out huge student loans to attend university somewhere for four or five years, plus an MBA afterward, it's really a better idea to err on the side of (somewhat) more formal work attire any time you head into the

The Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style Now on Ebay!!!

Another great old Laurence Fellows illustration of menswear from the classic era, the 1930s. T he Average Guy's Guide to Classic Style is up and running on Ebay.  -- Heinz-Ulrich

"If you see something you want. . ."

  The above photograph has been "borrowed" from the J. Press website. "I f you see something you want," advised my late mother, "buy it.  It won't be there when you go back later."  A favorite (and wise) adage hers that I still follow whenever possible.   So when this item appeared on clearance at J. Press, I mulled it over for a couple of days, and then clicked the requisite boxes to make the online purchase.  Should be here within the week. Once upon a time, I had a similar jacket by Corbin that I foolishly purged before we left Central Illinois ('Illi-noir' anyone?)  for Michigan almost 10 years ago.  Not sure what I was thinking at the time since I did like the item and wore it routinely.   This one will be a bit nicer and help me make sartorial amends.  At least to myself. -- Heinz-Ulrich