Skip to main content

A Few Fellows I've Never Met Before. . .

Now, THIS is how to enjoy self-isolation while waiting out Covid-19.  Presumably, there is a fire on the hearth.  My father and maternal uncle both used to smoke pipes filled with various aromatic tobaccos and, contrary to cigarettes and most cigars, it was not an altogether unpleasant secondhand experience from the vantage point of a five- or six-year-old.  Both gave up the habit before the 1970s were up however.


"You know, it's a funny old world. . ." as Bertie Wooster might have begun to Madeline Bassett during a moonlit stroll around the grounds of Totleigh Towers one evening after dinner.  

And indeed, it is a funny old world when you consider how the internet works and what one can unearth inadvertently and quite unintentionally.  I liken it to tossing out the Lonely Planet or Let's Go guidebooks and simply wandering around a foreign city.  You just never know where you might end up.

Anyway, while enjoying a second mug of fresh, strong coffee this morning before getting on with the day, I stumbled across a dozen  illustrations by illustrator Laurence Fellows that I've never come across before.  Faster than you can say Augustus 'Gussie' Fink-Nottle, I downloaded them into the folder in which I collect such things on my computer desktop (I know.  I know.), and here we are.  I hope you might enjoy seeing said illustrations.  

In the meantime, tinkety-tonk and toodle-pip!

-- Heinz-Ulrich


Ah, would that any male undergraduates at my state institution looked this pulled together.  Ever.  Terminal sleep-encrusted eyes, tousled hair, and food residue or crumbs around the mouth are more likely.



Returning home unexpectedly, perchance, from an infected area?



Office communication in pre-intranet days.  Remember when?



This particular picture simply screams Sir Roderick Spode and Madeline Bassett.



Oddly, I've never had the urge to strike this kind of pose while wearing my camel overcoat or hat(s).  Call it intuition, but somehow I feel it just wouldn't convey quite the same thing with a Subaru Outback in the picture.



When was the last time you were in a bar where the men looked as good?  The King George Inn, on Hamilton Boulevard in the west end of Allentown, Pennsylvania -- where commuters returning from Manhattan congregated for Happy Hour along with locally-based stockbrokers, lawyers, doctors and similar professionals -- came close.  Dinners too were delightfully pleasant affairs there.  But that was 40 years ago.  Were The King George still open, I fear flip-flops, cargo shorts, visible bra straps and thongs, or ill-considered tattoos on overfed upper arms would be the norm.



I never witnessed scenes like this when we used to attend The Devon Horse Show outside Philadelphia each spring although there were occasional top-hatted riders like the man in hunting pink in the right rear of the picture.



Golf has never been my thing although I've tried it a few times over the years.  Much to my social chagrin and discomfort with each well-executed slice into the rough.



Likewise, golf clubs are the last thing I wish to discuss before breakfast.  In fact, depending on the hour, any discussion at all is a stretch.  I've really come to appreciate quiet and calm even more since becoming a parent 10 years ago.



Formally attired waiters with champagne (or something stronger at day's end) would be a nice idea in cross-country ski areas though.  As yet, I've never seen it.



Before various international radio stations began leaving the airwaves in droves around 2010-2012, thanks to funding cuts and the relative cheapness of internet broadcasting, I was a big fan for many years of listening to news, music, and other features from all over the world via shortwave (aka world band) radio.  The large set pictured here though is rather different from my now long-gone  ICOM, Sony, and Grundig gear.

Comments

  1. Heinz-Ulrich - Great pictures. What a lovely world that was, at least in terms of clothing and manners, particularly if one were the sort of well-off man about town depicted above. Not sure that the Great Depression and Second World War were that much fun though, so I suppose would have to decline the time machine trip if offered, however tempting.

    I completely agree regarding the image of Spode and La Bassett. Unfortunately, your observations about contemporary college students hold true down here as well, with the occasional exception. I am currently reading Cocktail Time, a Wodehouse novel that I had not read before. Quite a treat.

    The King George Inn sounds wonderful. I was born in Allentown, but my family moved away when I was a kid, so my memories are mainly of the toy department at Hess Brothers, and the gastronomic offerings of the Ritz BBQ joint and the Good Humor ice cream truck.

    Very best wishes,

    Charlottesville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to have lived in such a time when this was the norm! Though, I suspect iin such a time, I would not have moved in such circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments Tony and Charlottesville! Agreed about The Great Depression and WWII, but it's fun to daydream about what life might have been like for a select few at that time nevertheless. Ah, Hess's! My mother worked at the competing H. Leh & Co. as a buyer and then manager of various departments into the 80s.

    Best Regards,

    Heinz-Ulrich

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All opinions are welcome here. Even those that differ from mine. But let's keep it clean and civil, please.

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Popular Posts

J. Press Goodness. . .

    F resh out of the UPS box, three examples of J. Press goodness on a Friday morning.  These shirts are replacements for three recently worn-through, more than 20-year old OCBDs from Land's End (two) and L.L. Bean (one).  They were purchased shortly after I took my first teaching position at a now defunct local college outside of Minneapolis, immediately following graduate school, as the fall semester kicked off in September 2003. While some professional gear hung in my closet already, a few additional items were needed at that point to round out the weekly rotation. Said shirts all finally fell prey to small rips showing up in the now very thin, but incredibly comfortable, fabric within six weeks of each other this winter and early spring.  So, time for a few replacements.  The old friends will find new life as summertime lawncare shirts.  Of the three new items above, my favorite shirt is on the right, but one cannot go wrong with a light blue OCBD either, so we're in good

Time for the Ol' Switcheroo?

  W ell, here we are approaching mid-April.  And it might just be about time to swap the cool and cold weather attire for warmer weather gear this coming weekend.  Mid-70s Fahrenheit yesterday, and low 70s today.  Cooler after that later in the week, but I can probably stow the heavier wool items and cords in the cedar closet and safely bring out the warm weather suits, odd jackets, and pants until the fall. Still time of one last hurrah today however.  Cooler enough this morning for a tan pair of cords paired with that recently arrived J. Press jacket.  The latter is light enough, although it is wool, that I might just keep it handy since we can certainly have chilly days in May and June. While classes end on the April 19th this year, I'll still be on campus occasionally into June, so it's not exactly time for khaki shorts, Madras, seersucker and short-sleeved polo shirts just yet.  There's also  conference coming up in New Orleans at the start of June, so still some oppor

Job Talk #3. . .

  C andidate #3 is, for my money, the person for the job.  Considerable experience, broad perspective, well-connected throughout the college and university due to an array of collaborative pursuits of one kind or another, coherent and detailed vision laid out for the next three years and beyond.  Yes.  I am not on the committee that makes the recommendation to the dean, who will make the final decision and send the letter, but, were it up to yours truly, this is the guy.  And he wore an actual suit (mid-gray), dress shoes, white shirt, and necktie as an added plus.  20 years or so my junior, but someone gets it. -- Heinz-Ulrich