Skip to main content

As the Old Meatloaf Song Put It. . .

No, not a new suit, but new buttons!

As the old song by Meatloaf went, two out of three ain't bad on this Tuesday before the Thanksgiving holiday here in the United States.  First, the two. . .

I picked up the above suit from my tailor's on the way home from campus this morning, where he had sewn on new buttons to replace to the original, truly awful solid tan buttons that came on the suit when I purchased it some years ago.  It looks like a different item!  I've always liked enjoyed the suit, but the better buttons take things to a whole new level.

Next, I dropped by the bank to deposit an actual check (remember those?).  Not one, but two of the 20-something male tellers, one who was the greeter, and another who actually helped me from behind the counter, had on full suits with neckties and leather dress shoes!  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I can't recall the last time I observed male bank employees, who were not the branch manager, in actual suits.  The early 1990s?  We'll forget that one guy wore bright tan shoes with his charcoal suit, and the other guy wore a black suit, and simply marvel at the fact that they were trying to up their style game.  Well done late millennial males! 

I complimented them both as I concluded my business and prepared to leave, asking if their attire reflected a change in corporate policy.  The greeter smiled, thanked me, and simply replied, "No, this is what we do."  Clearly, there are two more people out there who get it.

Sadly, the run of good fortune ended there.  A stop at the barbershop, which is closed on Mondays, revealed that everyone else besides me had the same idea about a pre-holiday trim.  I didn't feel like waiting for the five men in front of me before I could take my place in one of the three chairs.  I'll try again after the holiday next Tuesday.  Maybe I'll have better luck then?
  
Last of all, a quick check of my voicemail once I arrived home resulted in learning that an approaching dentist appointment for November 30th needed rescheduling thanks to a new computer system due to be installed at the dental practice on that day, which means they cannot see any patients because. . . everything is now computerized.  No paper records or appointment book.

Normally, I wouldn't mind so much, but this particular dentists' office already changed the same appointment on me once at the end of September, pushing things back by two months before they had an available opening I could actually make.  It was also difficult to get the appointment set up in the first place when I initially made it back in July.  Sigh.  As the song went, two out of three. . .   And yes.  I realize my math is off, but it's the spirit of the thing you understand.

-- Heinz-Ulrich

Comments

Popular Posts

J. Press Goodness. . .

    F resh out of the UPS box, three examples of J. Press goodness on a Friday morning.  These shirts are replacements for three recently worn-through, more than 20-year old OCBDs from Land's End (two) and L.L. Bean (one).  They were purchased shortly after I took my first teaching position at a now defunct local college outside of Minneapolis, immediately following graduate school, as the fall semester kicked off in September 2003. While some professional gear hung in my closet already, a few additional items were needed at that point to round out the weekly rotation. Said shirts all finally fell prey to small rips showing up in the now very thin, but incredibly comfortable, fabric within six weeks of each other this winter and early spring.  So, time for a few replacements.  The old friends will find new life as summertime lawncare shirts.  Of the three new items above, my favorite shirt is on the right, but one cannot go wrong with a light blue OCBD either, so we're in good

Time for the Ol' Switcheroo?

  W ell, here we are approaching mid-April.  And it might just be about time to swap the cool and cold weather attire for warmer weather gear this coming weekend.  Mid-70s Fahrenheit yesterday, and low 70s today.  Cooler after that later in the week, but I can probably stow the heavier wool items and cords in the cedar closet and safely bring out the warm weather suits, odd jackets, and pants until the fall. Still time of one last hurrah today however.  Cooler enough this morning for a tan pair of cords paired with that recently arrived J. Press jacket.  The latter is light enough, although it is wool, that I might just keep it handy since we can certainly have chilly days in May and June. While classes end on the April 19th this year, I'll still be on campus occasionally into June, so it's not exactly time for khaki shorts, Madras, seersucker and short-sleeved polo shirts just yet.  There's also  conference coming up in New Orleans at the start of June, so still some oppor

Job Talk #3. . .

  C andidate #3 is, for my money, the person for the job.  Considerable experience, broad perspective, well-connected throughout the college and university due to an array of collaborative pursuits of one kind or another, coherent and detailed vision laid out for the next three years and beyond.  Yes.  I am not on the committee that makes the recommendation to the dean, who will make the final decision and send the letter, but, were it up to yours truly, this is the guy.  And he wore an actual suit (mid-gray), dress shoes, white shirt, and necktie as an added plus.  20 years or so my junior, but someone gets it. -- Heinz-Ulrich